IGNORED

Out And About

Rinkydink

On 9/13/2024 at 3:44 PM, Dennis Andress said:

I don’t get it. 
IMG_1858.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.52d1da33e55009721eb098bd0314bb45.jpegHas something to do with the dealership tag, I suspect...did you get that far?

(Its great fun having a personalized plate with an obscure meaning. I have a client going nutz trying to solve mine. And I give no hints.)

10 hours ago, syntorz said:

(Its great fun having a personalized plate with an obscure meaning. I have a client going nutz trying to solve mine. And I give no hints.)

When I got this plate, the wife said no one would know what it means.  I said, only those that need to know will know.

prce7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2
14 hours ago, Rougarou said:

When I got this plate, the wife said no one would know what it means.  I said, only those that need to know will know.

prce7.jpg

Cool that it made it through the filters. I'll keep the secret!

• Smile 1
14 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Cool that it made it through the filters. I'll keep the secret!

Google is (this civilians) friend? And some reddit posts...pretty sure I get it.

In Wisco, one has to provide a reason or meaning for a personalized plate application. Although I suppose one could just fib...

I saw some great ones pre-filter days. Wish I had a phone camera back then.

roadscholar

I learned the E numbering system from when I had a Yammie shop a couple miles from NAS in the 80's,  if they were less than an E3 we didn't finance them. It was pretty much guaranteed though, if they missed a payment we'd just call the base commander and they'd straighten it right out : )

The other part, sounds about right. :classic_biggrin: 

• Smile 2
2 hours ago, syntorz said:

Google is (this civilians) friend? And some reddit posts...pretty sure I get it.

In Wisco, one has to provide a reason or meaning for a personalized plate application. Although I suppose one could just fib...

I saw some great ones pre-filter days. Wish I had a phone camera back then.

So radios are generally, AN/PRC-xxx  (Army Navy/Portable Communication Radio),......so for short'ish, prc-xxx (pronounced prick).  When I came in the standard infantry radio in use was the AN/PRC-77 or prc 77 for short'ish.  In the rank structure, a Gunnery Sergeant is an E-7 (although we NEVER refer to Marine Corps rank as an "E anything", 'cept in humor or insult).  So, to get to the point, you'd tell the new guy to go to the company Gunny (really the unit disciplinarian and do all position) that we need a PRC-E7,.....prick e7,....essentially, telling the Gunnery Sergeant, an E7 that he's a "prick",......and then the fun begins!!

Now, I need to go get me a box of illuminated grid squares.

1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

I learned the E numbering system from when I had a Yammie shop a couple miles from NAS in the 80's,  if they were less than an E3 we didn't finance them. It was pretty much guaranteed though, if they missed a payment we'd just call the base commander and they'd straighten it right out : )

I ran into a couple of organizations that wouldn't finance anything below Corporal (E4), I think that's kinda bullshitty as the organization knows the young troop gets paid, and as you said, the base commander can always be contacted if they skip the payment.  On the flip side, young troops are stoopid when it comes to buying stuff.  In '88, one of my LCpl's came in with a new boombox.  I queried how much it cost him, he said $1k:14::14:, finance rate was the low, low 31%,....I think that was max legally allowed at the time.

roadscholar
3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

On the flip side, young troops are stoopid when it comes to buying stuff. 

They just hadn't figured out maturity quite yet but then who has : ) Somewhat related, my shop was on the west side of Jax like 35-40 miles from Mayport, when a carrier group would come off 6 month deployment the squids had money saved up and some wanted a new bike. Once in awhile they called me because our shop had Yamaha in the name in the phone book (my competitor was much closer to the beach, sold Yamaha and Suzuki but used his personal name on the dealership, he was a locally known drag racer). I'd give them directions avoiding Beach and Atlantic Blvds. so they wouldn't pass any other motorcycle dealerships on the way over. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Smile 2

At least they did not send you to the Bos'n Locker to get some water line.  Or go down to the boiler room and ask Luke for a BT punch;  newbie BT's would have to get a steam sample.  

:grin:

• Smile 1
35 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

At least they did not send you to the Bos'n Locker to get some water line.  Or go down to the boiler room and ask Luke for a BT punch;  newbie BT's would have to get a steam sample.  

:grin:

To the flight deck for mail buoy watch (twas on the green sheet day one of Med float 86 Sara)

Need a pad eye wrench or 60 feet of flight line?

Send to supply to get some BA1100n’s ( BA is the designator for batteries, but you should get the spelling if you change the 1 to l and the 0 to o)

many, many more

• Smile 1

Had a new recruit pipe Seaman Stains report to the laundry. Found out that the OOD didn't have a sense of humor

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 5
2 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Had a new recruit pipe Seaman Stains report to the laundry.

You guys must of heard the old joke “what does a dick and a ship have in common?” They both have Seaman… :spittake:

9 hours ago, TEWKS said:

You guys must of heard the old joke “what does a dick and a ship have in common?” They both have Seaman… :spittake:

I heard it as "what's long, hard and full of seamen",......a submarine

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

The luggage capacity on the new Harleys is amazing.  This guy's fully packed for a five-mile tour:

image.thumb.jpeg.fa3b09fdb7486a49a408809493529c6d.jpeg

image.png.62639fb75e1910a8f8daf60cbebb3e38.png

image.png.c785d6a0e6fb99deaf61ce1cab4b662e.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
23 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Saw this today.  What LAFD uses it for in San Pedro I have no idea.  Paging @TEWKS I think you need one of these.

IMG_4981.jpg.2521f60d864191de22d2bf54850c7e3b.jpg

Cool, ^ here’s what they let me dive today. 

IMG_6212.thumb.jpeg.2d8f67f4bfccffc956c28f8073075148.jpeg

• Like 3
5 hours ago, BrianT said:

Saw this today.  What LAFD uses it for in San Pedro I have no idea.  Paging @TEWKS I think you need one of these.

IMG_4981.jpg.2521f60d864191de22d2bf54850c7e3b.jpg

I know a now retired LAFD Firefighter who said these didn’t work out too good for their intended purpose (Wild-land fires) when the first got them 25+- yrs ago.
Perhaps now it’s just a PR (Museum) prop? 

Google LAFD Brush 109 hummer h1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
racerbvd
On 9/21/2024 at 5:49 PM, roadscholar said:

They just hadn't figured out maturity quite yet but then who has : ) Somewhat related, my shop was on the west side of Jax like 35-40 miles from Mayport, when a carrier group would come off 6 month deployment the squids had money saved up and some wanted a new bike. Once in awhile they called me because our shop had Yamaha in the name in the phone book (my competitor was much closer to the beach, sold Yamaha and Suzuki but used his personal name on the dealership, he was a locally known drag racer). I'd give them directions avoiding Beach and Atlantic Blvds. so they wouldn't pass any other motorcycle dealerships on the way over. :classic_biggrin:

Ron Turner...

Rougarou
5 hours ago, roadscholar said:

For Roug : )

image.thumb.jpeg.d90de98ef1f7d47595778034bdfed9af.jpeg

That's just plain smawt if'n you use a community fridge at work.

• Like 3
Hank in WV
17 hours ago, roadscholar said:

image.jpeg.762025ea77af21a91a221d3f7864c78b.jpeg:4907:

For Roug : )

image.thumb.jpeg.d90de98ef1f7d47595778034bdfed9af.jpeg

Must be Springfield, Ohio.

• Haha 2
Joe Frickin' Friday

Cheaper to buy a trailer, and easier than dealing with a building permit:

trailer.jpg.0366397ae70871f7b1fd6f3f00d77ff9.jpg

One way to deal with a hotel room vent that's moving too much air:

hvac.thumb.jpg.97f0b26057e6d879c71bdf2927748032.jpg

knife.jpeg.2c0c16978a702e5c9fcb1f2e6a8c32bd.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Smile 3
6 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Cheaper to buy a trailer, and easier than dealing with a building permit:

What's this building permit thing you speak of:classic_biggrin::dontknow::classic_biggrin:

knife.jpeg.2c0c16978a702e5c9fcb1f2e6a8c32bd.jpeg

As a young grunt, we'd play "splits".  Stand across from each other by a few feet and throw your bayonet in the ground at the other guys foot.  Where the bayonet lands, the other guy has to "split" to it, thus widening his stance.  The flexible people were good to go very wide, the not so flexible meh, lose balance fall over.  The trading of throws goes until one can no longer reach the bayonet or topples over.  And yes, several ended up with holes in the tops of their boots and some in the tops of their feet.  Gave the Corpsman practice on "battlefield" wounds.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Spotted in Japan, this sign for a bar (not my pic):

sake.thumb.jpeg.769b72dba980e97dbb07f0eca0adc8c3.jpeg

The kanji at top ( 酒  ) originally referred only to sake (rice wine), but at some point in the past it got generalized to cover all alcoholic beverages.  Basically there's no bar name or anything, it's literally just "drinks" and a picture of a brain getting kicked in the balls.

• Smile 1