IGNORED

warthog power

chrisolson

Had forgotten just how big the GAU - 8 really is.    70 rounds a second !!  It takes two hydraulic motors to spin the barrels and work the system. 

https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-dri

The delivery system .... what a marvelously designed airplane.

BRRRRRT!

BRRRRRT!

GAU-8 Avenger

• Like 3

Fantastic pictures!  Glad the powers that be came to their senses and decided not to retire this airplane as originally planned.  What a great ground troop support weapon.

• Like 1

Having personally watch those things provide CAS,...........it's a beautiful thing!!!!!  Bbbrrrrrrrrrrpppppppp!!!

And those turbines have a very distinctive sound too!!  No mistaken it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Fantastic pictures!  Glad the powers that be came to their senses and decided not to retire this airplane as originally planned.  What a great ground troop support weapon.

I'll bet Richard can attest to that! :thumbsup: Also, legend has it, the hog can take an ass-kicking as well as it gives one.:5590:

df3946397dfdd69810af859d0bbc6ea6.jpg

Edit...

Ah, he beat me to it. :grin:

• Like 2

I was assigned to 84th TCF on the north side of Luke, and once a month or so the A-10s would get sighted in on the south side of the base.  A truly distinct sound.

PS:  I  went to an air show last summer with a friend and former Navy jet fighter pilot who now flies a Boeing 777.  We watched a couple of P-51s do dives, strafing runs and straight vertical climbs and rolls for 30+ minutes.  My heart was pounding from the show.  His comment:  "Damn, that thing is really fast."

And, from my trip to Dover and the Battle of Britain memorial last summer -- the Spitfire was such a beautiful and elegant flyer developed at just the right time in history.  Glad the Brits produced enough of them in time to win the Battle of Britain.  The Hurricanes shot down more Nazi planes, but the Spitfires did the heavy lifting against the fast German fighters.  And what a sacrifice by all those young boys during a key time in history.  Sorry, but these two planes get me really worked up.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Hard to beat these two beauties.

Ok, so how about this one :grin:

Another Kelly Johnson masterpiece and in some ways as groundbreaking an airframe as the A10.

Technology of the time ... twin turbo-super charged piston engines vs twin  turbofans and  4 Browning 50 cal machine guns in nose + an autocanon instead of the single GAU

image.thumb.png.05d31c7f60b1c732f74bcf3b1f07ff22.png

• Like 2

Good stuff Randy.  The Mustang ranks third in my book.  I watched a documentary involving the altitude record for a piston-powered plane, 42.568 ft.  (yeah I had to look it up)  Pretty cool.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

Ok, so how about this one :grin:

Another Kelly Johnson masterpiece and in some ways as groundbreaking an airframe as the A10.

Technology of the time ... twin turbo-super charged piston engines vs twin  turbofans and  4 Browning 50 cal machine guns in nose + an autocanon instead of the single GAU

Love the P 38.  Another gorgeous piston fighter.  The Japanese pilots called it the twin tailed devil and it was very effective.

47 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

William:  The A10 and the SR 71 are my favorite planes. 

Top candidates, but I smell a new airplane thread coming on!   Hard to beat these two beauties.

My favorite, over the lawn darts and CAS birds, is the flexible workhorse.  It can carry you for miles (going in and coming out), it can keep the lawn darts in the air, it can move the sick lame and crazies, and it can be a fantastic gunship, and its been around forever.

Image result for c-130 hercules marines fat albert

Filling up two shitters:

1280px-thumbnail.jpg

5 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

One few over the house the other day. Still run out to look, that obsession started oh, about fifty years ago.:grin:

As bad as my hearing is, my wife swears that I can hear rotors coming before she does, might be because I'm ALWAYS listening for them.  I always go outside when I hear them beating the air.  A couple of years ago, there were two Osprey's that flew over, fairly low, one landed at the little airstrip a just over a hill from me, was down a few minutes then popped back up.  53's fly over every few months, Huey's are rare, and I have seen some Blackhawks.  But that rotor chopping in the air will never be forgotten.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Thé P-51 is probably the # 1 piston powered aircraft in my book but the Corsair is right on its six! :grin:

hqdefault.jpg

Another beauty.  Very powerful.  Lone RT Riders' favorite airplane.  We may have had a few airplane conversations over the years!

The A-10 had multiple round speed settings.  If you set it too high, you were out of ammo in as little as 15-16 seconds.  A more typical setting was about half speed.

Joe Frickin' Friday
12 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Also, legend has it, the hog can take an ass-kicking as well as it gives one.

df3946397dfdd69810af859d0bbc6ea6.jpg

Pretty sure that's a screenshot out of a flight simulator, but there's no shortage of real photos and stories from A-10s that managed to limp home with after sustaining ridiculous battle damage.  Here's one:

The A-10 Thunderbolt II piloted by Captain Kim Campbell suffered extensive damage during Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003. Campbell flew it safely back to base on manual reversion mode after taking damage to the hydraulic system. (U.S. Air Force photo)

Here's another:

Image result for a10 damage

As for the GAU-8, it is indeed a ridiculous gun.  At 70 rounds a second - 70 Hz - you don't even hear the individual firing events, you hear a solid concert C#2:

The second half of that video includes footage from some field tests (or possibly actual close air support missions).  The rounds are coming in supersonic, so hear them hitting the target before you hear the BRRRRRRRT from the gun itself.

Back in the '80s and '90s, my dad was a defense department employee working in a Honeywell plant.  He was involved in monitoring contract performance for munitions production, which is where his engineering background came in handy.  He often came home with stories about cutting-edge weapons systems that his work made him aware of.  This included the GAU-8, for which Honeywell (at the time) manufactured rounds.  One day he brought home this little item, which he gave to me a couple of years ago:

2020-02b-GAU-8-01.jpg

This is a dummy round for the GAU-8, used for sizing purposes.  I'm not sure how much propellant the casing holds, but it looks like a lot.  Makes a neat desk prop, albeit only at home.  I'm not allowed to display it at work, lest others be encouraged to display other exotic weapons like hand grenades and bowie knives. 

• Like 3

If you like that sort of thing, check out the Fighter Pilot Podcast.  Episode 44 featured an in depth look at the Warthog from a pilot who flew one in Afghanistan.   There's lots of other great  interviews of pilots in their 'aircraft'' series, as well as some good discussions of tactics, forward air control, and lots of interest tidbits.  

21 hours ago, Rougarou said:

As bad as my hearing is, my wife swears that I can hear rotors coming before she does, might be because I'm ALWAYS listening for them.  I always go outside when I hear them beating the air.  A couple of years ago, there were two Osprey's that flew over, fairly low, one landed at the little airstrip a just over a hill from me, was down a few minutes then popped back up.  53's fly over every few months, Huey's are rare, and I have seen some Blackhawks.  But that rotor chopping in the air will never be forgotten.

I'm about 5 miles down river from NAS JAX and get all kinds of stuff flying over, FA-18's, lots of P-8 sub chasers which are amazingly quiet (I loved the old P-3 turbo props) it looks like they have 30 or 40 lined up whenever I drive by there. It used to be more common but now only once in awhile Apache's fly up and down the river (1/4 mile away), they are so loud when outside you have to stop talking when they go by, actually I kind of like it when you think what they're capable of. BTW re: noise, I've known a few women that lived across the river from NAS and used to call over there and complain about all the noise : )

Then there's something big, low, and slow with at least 4 engines that flies over only late at night or early mornings before light, I'm guessing it's a big transporter but you never see it in daylight so I'm not sure. Another thing, I've been here 40 years and can almost predict with regularity when an 'event' will take place somewhere in the world with all the ramped up activity in the days or week prior, happened too many times to think it's coincidence. 

These ol birds until recently have been lumbering over the treetops the past 40 years or so I’ve been here. P-3 Orion story.

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/news/features/history/p-3-orion.html

1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

I'm about 5 miles down river from NAS JAX and get all kinds of stuff flying over, FA-18's, lots of P-8 sub chasers . . . .

The former Navy fighter pilot I referenced above trained after the Academy at NAS Jax.  I've been visiting and playing golf with him for years at Timuquana, right next to the NAS on the St. James River, and where a bunch of his now retired Navy mates are members.  It is a special treat when the F/A-18s and other aircraft come and go during a round when I am there.  

• Like 1

Amazingly, some people just cannot distinguish between The Sound of Freedom and a general aviation airport.   Just sayin'

• Like 3
3 hours ago, roadscholar said:

I'm about 5 miles down river from NAS JAX and get all kinds of stuff flying over, FA-18's, lots of P-8 sub chasers which are amazingly quiet (I loved the old P-3 turbo props) it looks like they have 30 or 40 lined up whenever I drive by there. It used to be more common but now only once in awhile Apache's fly up and down the river (1/4 mile away), they are so loud when outside you have to stop talking when they go by, actually I kind of like it when you think what they're capable of. BTW re: noise, I've known a few women that lived across the river from NAS and used to call over there and complain about all the noise : )

Apache's from NAS Jax??  Is there an Army reserve unit there now?  Last time I was at NAS Jax was 'bout '88-89,......ex-wife is from J'ville on the north side, near FCCJ.

3 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Then there's something big, low, and slow with at least 4 engines that flies over only late at night or early mornings before light, I'm guessing it's a big transporter but you never see it in daylight so I'm not sure. Another thing, I've been here 40 years and can almost predict with regularity when an 'event' will take place somewhere in the world with all the ramped up activity in the days or week prior, happened too many times to think it's coincidence.

C-5 Galaxy,.....big and loud, sounds like it's about to fall out of the sky.

Image result for c-5

1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

Amazingly, some people just cannot distinguish between The Sound of Freedom and a general aviation airport.   Just sayin'

The sign in front of New River Air Station, Jacksonville, NC "Pardon our noise, it's the sound of freedom",......always loved that sign.

• Like 1

I live just about in the middle between Camp Lejeune and Cherry Point on the coast. Though I am not an aviation buff , I see an array of aircraft on any given day.

Used to see a lot of Osprey's , but it doesn't seem like they are flying them as much . When I was in  the C.G. , I would have to go to Cherry Point for most of my medical , and when I was through I would park by the airstrips and watch the Harrier's land and take off.  What a Rush!  Things were a lot laxer on base back in them days.

Last June,  Laura and I were on rented bike for a treffen in Wales.  I believe we rode close to this area on a group ride to Portmerion.  The RAF did not have any training runs scheduled around that time.  Would have been nice to witness that.   Oh, my.

Perhaps on another trip we can time it with training days.  Lovely countryside, by the way.    

3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Apache's from NAS Jax??  Is there an Army reserve unit there now?  Last time I was at NAS Jax was 'bout '88-89,

Maybe Camp Blanding, but there's also a carrier strike force about 25 miles east at Mayport NS so my guess is they're coming over here for maintenance. There's always different type military helos flying up the river but it's hard to mistake an Apache for anything else. They fly over water (ocean, river, creeks, swamp) as much as possible to avoid population density and apparently use a clockwise loop pattern between NAS and Mayport so they're always going north where I am (Mandarin point).

An_AH-64D_takes_off_from_USS_Ponce._%288189830047%29.jpg?itok=-sa-nNMy

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Image result for c-5

Yep pretty much, whatever it is comes in low and slow you can hear the turbines whine like no other plane I'm familiar with. Which reminds me when I was a kid in the 50's in central Fla we had quite a few military aircraft fly over being halfway between Pinecastle AFB in Orlando and Ocala NF bombing range. I'd always run outside (like Pat : ) to look for a plane that had a distinctive sound.. the six engine pusher B-36, there was nothing else like it.

Convair_B-36_Peacemaker.jpg

And often when I'm on the way to Colorado or back just outside Shreveport B52's are doing touch and go's at Barksdale AFB right over I-20, some of them trailing black smoke which I guess is ok but man they look like dinosaurs these days.

40584607683_6761da843c_b.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Apache's from NAS Jax??  Is there an Army reserve unit there now?

Army reserve dosen't have Apaches.  The Florida Army National Guard aviation units are at Cecil Field in Jacksonville and I think Florida has one of the four remaining Apache battalions left in the guard.  

29 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Army reserve dosen't have Apaches.  The Florida Army National Guard aviation units are at Cecil Field in Jacksonville and I think Florida has one of the four remaining Apache battalions left in the guard.  

4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Apache's from NAS Jax??  Is there an Army reserve unit there now?  

Rougarou said that but actually I'm not sure where they come from just assumed it was Mayport since they seem to be on the same flight path as other helos coming up the river, tho like I mentioned it's not nearly as prevalent as years past.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

And looks like it's not even moving.

2 hours ago, roadscholar said:

the six engine pusher B-36, there was nothing else like it.

Did you forget the four jet engines?  Six turning, four burning, they used to call out.

7 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

Did you forget the four jet engines?  Six turning, four burning, they used to call out.

Yeah, maybe wasn't aware of them when I was 7 or 8 just remember the really strange sound that plane made. When I looked at the photo saw them and thought it might've had an effect other than just the pusher props. Guess you could call it a hybrid.

• Like 1

My first experience with CAS from an A-10 was 29 years ago to the day.  Damn impressive machines and was definitely nice to have them on station.  Our Air Liason Officer was an A 10 pilot and one of the most miserable dudes in the unit.  First shooting war for the A10 and he was stuck on the ground with a TAC-P supporting the infantry! Dont think the Air Force still uses rated officers for TAC-P duties anymore. 

While I was stationed at Fort Irwin I witnessed an A-10 crash making a simulated gun run.  Not sure what happened but we suspected the pilot stayed with the aircraft rather than punching out and risk having the aircraft hit one of the vehicles on the ground.  

12 hours ago, taylor1 said:

I live just about in the middle between Camp Lejeune and Cherry Point on the coast. Though I am not an aviation buff , I see an array of aircraft on any given day.

Used to see a lot of Osprey's , but it doesn't seem like they are flying them as much . When I was in  the C.G. , I would have to go to Cherry Point for most of my medical , and when I was through I would park by the airstrips and watch the Harrier's land and take off.  What a Rush!  Things were a lot laxer on base back in them days.

While stationed in Okinawa, I was part of the 311st MEU, which really translates to "gone alot on ships".  Our main ship was the USS ESSEX and I had my own vault from which I managed all the COMSEC equipment an electronic cryptographic keys for the entire MEU that sat directly under the flight deck (02 level).  When the harriers would launch, I'd immediately grab my ear muffs and count how many went out that day because the worst is yet to come.  Upon hearing the first bird inbound, I'd grab the muffs again because my vault was directly beneath their landing.  The only thing separating me from them was a flight deck ceiling and as those things hovered above me, it was still excruciatingly loud with the muffs on.  Count them land, if the numbers equaled, I was good for the day.........no don't get me started on the chain draggers and chock droppers or the helos that would just sit and turn forever.

If my recollection is right , the Harriers were British designed and built jets. The U.S. pilots had a hard time with them at first. Three went down in our area within 2 years.

I personally had to go fetch a pilot 3 miles offshore who bailed. When the Britts were confronted on the problem ,  they said that it was incorrect training on the craft.

• 2 weeks later...
RandyShields

Just watched a Smithsonian Channel show totally devoted to the A 10.  It was fantastic, with a focus on the challenges it had to overcome to prove itself.  Loved the way that this plane continued to survive the attempts by the Air Force brass to kill the entire program.  Yes, it's a bit long in the tooth today, but the ground troops love this airplane!