IGNORED

RE: Tire Change and Cycle Gear

Skywagon

My bike is getting close to time for new shoes.  Silly me I always just pay BMW shop to install them.  I am thinking about ordering tires on-line and taking them to cycle gear for install.  Any experience with this?  Will they scratch my rims or should I just take the bike to the dealer...again. Thanks for input and experience.

I have no experience with CG. Do you not have to buy your tires at CG for them to install?

They have 2 prices.  If you buy from them it is cheaper than if you don't....but that is offset in internet prices from my research so far.

szurszewski

I ordered a set of tires from revzilla Thursday. They shipped this morning and this afternoon I got an email from revzilla offering mounting of those tires at cycle gear. Says $25 for street tires or $20 for off-road and includes “lifetime balancing” - I assume that price is per wheel, but I don’t know. I’m sure it’s for bringing the wheels in off the bike. 

Doesn't Revzilla own Cycle Gear?  I've seen Revzilla's offering too and, like szurszewski, assumed the price was each wheel delivered off the bike.  

8 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I ordered a set of tires from revzilla Thursday. They shipped this morning and this afternoon I got an email from revzilla offering mounting of those tires at cycle gear. Says $25 for street tires or $20 for off-road and includes “lifetime balancing” - I assume that price is per wheel, but I don’t know. I’m sure it’s for bringing the wheels in off the bike. 

I do know they require the wheels off the bike. 

This:

Motion Pro 08-0536 BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker and Lever Tool Set

And this:

61c6XIlMSTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And if ye be worried about scratches:

Image result for Motion Pro 08-0546 RimShield II

Heat them in the sun/heater/fireplace, 30 minutes you're done.  Two-three tire changes, you've returned your investment.  I've never balanced any rear tire and never had an issue.

szurszewski
4 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Doesn't Revzilla own Cycle Gear?  I've seen Revzilla's offering too and, like szurszewski, assumed the price was each wheel delivered off the bike.  

My understanding is that the patent company of cycle gear purchased Revzilla. 

When I bought the Dunlop RS II for my bike I couldn't find a better price than Cycle Gear. I took my wheels over to them at lunch time (at the time I was working about a mile from a Cycle Gear store) and picked them up after work. They did a good job, no nicks or dings on my wheels.

Since that time I've joined the local BMW owners club and discovered that one of our members has a tire machine. I'll probably take him up on his offer for my next set of tires.

Every time I go to my local CG there is a different employee base. Having TPMS on my rims those young kids make me nervous. 

I've had CG change a couple of covers for me.  There is one less than a mile from the house and I stop in there frequently.  Their prices are generally better on most things than any I can find online. 

Good kids, very consciencious.  I would bet they would do it as well or better than I would, especially if I expressed my wishes that the rims are well protected and offered a few extra $ tip encouragement.  They usually have one guy that is THE tire guy.  And, yes, they do change kids from time to time with graduations and such, but the manager has been the same young person for the last 3-4 years and a really good guy. 

I remove my TPMS and change the batteries while they are wrastling rubber. 

"In February 2016, RevZilla partnered with private equity firm and Cycle Gear owner J.W. Childs to create Comoto Holdings."

Bill_Walker

I've had CG install several sets of tires for me.  I've had two issues:

1. Once they installed a tire for my 1150RT the wrong way on the rim (tire marked for direction of rotation, but the rim isn't).
  2. Another time, I bought a tire and tube from them for my KLX250S, and they reinstalled the old tube.  Apparently garbled instructions on the order.  When I picked it up, one guy mentioned it and another said he thought it was weird, too.  Neither of them thought to maybe call me and ask.

I've used CG to install tires for my RT, and it was done quickly without problems -- and the price was reasonable.

The closest CG to me doesn’t mount tires. They do have some sort of relationship with a small indy shop that does tho.