IGNORED

R1150-RT Oil Leak Diagnosis Help.

Justinthebmw

Justinthebmw

I have a 2005 R1150RT and I recently cleaned it to check where the oil leak is. Below the bolt on the exhaust you can see where the oil is leaking out deeper into the bike and it’s a mild leak while riding and slow when off and sitting. My brother said maybe it’s the exhaust gasket but I wanted more opinions, any help is appreciated. 

425528DF-4C66-4641-A045-BE1140907F8C.jpeg

1 minute ago, Justinthebmw said:

I have a 2005 R1150RT and I recently cleaned it to check where the oil leak is. My brother said maybe it’s the exhaust gasket but I wanted more opinions, any help is appreciated. 

Evening Justinthebmw  

We need better pictures, or arrows showing leakage areas, or a more thorough explanation of your problem. 

There is an oil thermostat & some oil line above the area that you have pictured.

Basically we need a LOT more info.

There is a small air passage between the sparkplug well and the exhaust port spigot "area" (as in your pic).  It might be the round seal around the sparkplug well, between the valve cover and the head.  Have you checked your valves recently??  Had the same issue.

Valve cover R11S.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I found my pics of my similar problem: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SyJEsqs3pwPVEPX96

These pics are of a '99 R1100S which is a different engine than the '99 R1100RT (have one of those, too) and closer to the R1150 engine as I understand it.  I can't guarantee that your 1150 heads are just like these but yours might be similar and have these passages.  I'm guessing these passages help with cooling.

These passages are on the intake and exhaust sides of the cylinders.  On the exhaust (front) side, they were both (L & R) clogged with tiny pebbles coated with tar, plus bits of greass, leaves, bugs, etc.  I had it pick them out with an awl and flashlight.  The passages were tapering into the spark plug hole so it made the perfect trap for junk. 

The rubber seal I referred to in the above post is here.  :ACtC-3dSYB-Yvmmq588l_hqQAaQgzxDYX7PGDL9w

I used the small gold color flashlight to show the passages.

From the rear (intake side):

ACtC-3fnysBzO4AzouEip4va8UzRaUQRfVFGbDHu ht

ACtC-3f9kFbtQcxFjIMyDOVzZgh1EaFlMA7Nm6FZ

Exhaust side looking aft:

ACtC-3dG15b8MSaPNUZ0NJlC0CIypW_vFG4E4IRq